Woweeee you guys! I just wanted to say thank you so much for all of your super sweet comments about our fun kitchen update! ..and a great big HELLO to everyone who has popped over from House of Turquoise (one of my very most favourite blogs by the way! heee! ..so giddy right now I could scream!!) Makes me so very happy. I love doing random things around the house, and I absolutely love sharing them on here.. I would do it every day... if the budget allowed that is! heee! Seriously though, as far as budget goes.. it was such an affordable update. I spent $40 on the paint.. but could easily have gotten away with just buying a pint, because I have like 3/4 of the gallon that I did buy left (which will be used around the house I am sure.. so it isn't a waste at all).. $40 on the backsplash behind the stove... and $8 on the blind.. and it feels like a whole new room!
I updated my paint colours post this morning, and there is a link to it over there on the right hand side.. broke the colour spectrum down to 'main colours' and 'kid colours' ..love seeing all our paint colours together like that!
For those who asked, the new paint above the cabinets is Behr Aqua Bay and it is seriously yummy. :)
This image makes me so happy. The house started with the two brown/beige colours in the bottom left.. sloooowly we have been adding colour of our own and making it a little more colourful.. one room at a time. At first, it was just the green. The neutrals and then the green as accent.. then I saw this home tour, and I was in love. Since then, the yellow and the turquoise have been showing up around the house as well. I love the soothing colours, which are still bright and fun at the same time. The kitchen has been done about a week now, and I still smile every single time I walk in.. who knew a little bit of colour could make such a difference!
It has been a challenge for me because, I really have no desire to paint the entire house again.. I just have the urge to add some colour... but everything is so open, it is hard to figure out where to start and where to end.. know what I mean? So, in working with what we had, and painting small sections like above the cabinets, and things like the kitchen island.. I feel it is actually working! I still have plans to paint a few other walls in the main living area.. and some wallpaper too, with the beige still being the main colour on the walls. Who knows when it will be done as I envision it now that is, I am sure I will get the urge to pull out a can of paint sometime though.. I always do! ha ha!
I am going to answer some question I have gotten these past few days now.. if I miss anything, please let me know ok!?
1. Where did I find the white flowers? I bought those in Edmonton at West Edmonton Mall.. Twisted Goods. BUT, they are by Umbra and can be found online here. :) They are so fun! They come in a bunch of colours too. My brother and his girlfriend have a set of black birds also by Umbra and I looooooove those as well!
2. What is the name of the aqua wall colour? Behr Aqua Bay 480C-3
3. Where did I get the kitchen island? I bought it second hand (found it online on kijiji).. it was originally from Ikea I think, and was wooden butcher block style. I sanded it gently (since it was used, it had knife marks on it), and cleaned it up.. and then painted and added a couple coats of polyurethane for durability. Here is a post with more info and stuff. Love looking at online classifieds for things I can paint! hee!
4. What is the paint on the island? It is also by Behr and is the darker turquoise in the image above.. Behr Mirage Lake
5. What is the name of the tiles on the backsplash? I am not too sure of the name or brand of the actual tiles around the majority of the kitchen.. but the new addition behind the stove is a panel type system from Home Depot. I couldn't find the one I have on the Home Depot site, but here is a link to the ones that they do have on there.. and here is a link to a pdf download about the panel system as well. It is a plastic type of material, meant to look like tin. It was a breeze to install!
6. The source of the cabinets.. they were from a cabinet making place in Saskatoon SK, not too sure of the name. They are fairly generic though, and I am sure could be found all over. They have a 'mocha' colour rubbed into the grooves and recessed parts of the panel, I have seen similar ones at Home Depot as well. So sorry I don't have more info.. it was all done through the builder, so I don't have very much information on them. We do love them though, they have a very versatile look! :)
7. Where are the owls from? I have this HUGE thing for owls, and anything ceramic.. in the form of an owl.. I neeeeeed! lol I wish! I could be quite happy with a huge collection, or even a small collection.. I looove owls! lol The little vase type thing on the desk with the pencils in it is from Etsy, and can be found here. The cookie jar is from Urban Outfitters. :)
I hope this is helpful, if I missed anything, or if anyone has any other questions.. please do not hesitate to ask ok? It might take me a bit to reply.. but I promise I will! ..I warn you that it might take me a bit, because I think I just might be the worst email reply-r ever. I always have good intentions, but still seem to take forever! :( Thank you again for all the sweet comments! And again, a big hello to anyone that popped over from House of Turquoise! Thank you Erin for posting my kitchen! When I sat down with Google Reader yesterday, and saw it.. I screeched out loud and made my hubby come look... he thought I was nuts. But still. huge smile across my face! Totally made my day! OK.. gotta run for now!